Essential oils have been used for centuries to help nourish, condition, and improve hair health. With their antimicrobial, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, essential oils can be great natural remedies for many common hair problems.
In this comprehensive guide, we'll explore how to properly use essential oils for hair and review which oils can help with specific issues like hair loss, dandruff, oily hair, and more.
Diluting Essential Oils For Hair
Before applying essential oils to your hair, it's important to dilute them properly. Pure essential oils are very concentrated and can irritate the scalp if used directly.
The best way to dilute essential oils for hair is to use carrier oils like:
- Argan oil - Rich in antioxidants and moisturising for hair.
- Jojoba oil - Similar to skin's natural oils, adds moisture and nutrients.
- Coconut oil - Softens hair and adds shine.
Simply mix a few drops of your chosen essential oil into 1-2 tablespoons of a carrier oil. Then you can massage this diluted oil blend into your scalp and hair.
You can also add diluted oils to your:
- Shampoo - For an invigorating hair wash.
- Conditioner - To boost hair conditioning.
- Hair masks - For deep nourishment.
Essential Oils For Common Hair Problems
Essential oils can help treat various hair problems naturally. Always dilute oils properly before use.
Essential Oils For Hair Loss & Alopecia
Hair loss and alopecia are distressing problems. Thankfully, certain essential oils may help:
- Clary sage oil - Balances scalp oils, increases growth and strength.
- Lavender oil - Reduces stress, enhances growth by improving scalp health.
- Rosemary oil - Stimulates cellular generation and growth. Can increase thickness.
- Thyme oil - Prevents hair loss by stimulating the scalp.
- Cedarwood oil - Reduces hair loss by balancing scalp oils and thickening hair.
- Peppermint oil - Activates follicles by increasing circulation to the scalp.
- Lemongrass oil - Anti-dandruff properties help improve scalp health.
- Tea tree oil - Its antimicrobial activity clears blocked follicles and improves scalp health.
- Juniper berry oil - Has detoxifying effects. Stimulates circulation to boost growth.
Essential Oils For Dry Hair
Dry, brittle hair lacks moisture. Using essential oils can help immensely:
- Ylang ylang oil - Increases sebum production in the scalp to improve texture.
- Lavender oil - Renowned for conditioning locks and enhancing shine.
- Sandalwood oil - Restores moisture and locks it in.
Essential Oils For Brittle Hair
Brittle hair breaks easily. Using the right oils can strengthen it:
- Ylang ylang oil - Boosts sebum to improve texture and minimise breakage.
- Geranium oil - Repairs and strengthens hair.
- Clary sage oil - Fortifies hair to reduce brittleness.
- Lemongrass oil - Strengthens hair shaft.
- Juniper berry oil - Nourishes hair and follicles to minimise breakage.
- Thyme oil - Restores weakened, damaged hair.
Essential Oils For Oily Hair
Those with oily hair struggle with greasiness. These oils can control oil production:
- Rosemary oil - Has astringent properties that reduce excess sebum.
- Tea tree oil - Removes oil build-up by unclogging follicles and pores.
- Cedarwood oil - Regulates sebum production to balance oily hair.
- Lemon oil - A scalp cleanser that removes oil and dandruff.
Essential Oils for Dull Hair
Dull, lackluster locks can benefit from:
- Chamomile oil - Softens hair and enhances shine.
- Lavender oil - Renowned hair shine booster and conditioner.
- Sandalwood oil - Smoothens cuticles to improve shine.
Essential Oils For Dandruff
Dandruff results from a dry, irritated scalp. These oils can help:
- Lavender oil - Soothes scalp irritation and controls dandruff.
- Tea tree oil - Reduces oil and itchiness by unclogging follicles to treat causes.
- Peppermint oil - Improves scalp health by increasing blood circulation, reducing dandruff flakes.
- Lemongrass oil - Relieves an itchy scalp and improves condition.
- Cedarwood oil - Helps minimise dandruff by regulating sebum production.
- Lemon oil - Removes dandruff by cleansing the clogged scalp of dead cells and debris.
- Rosewood oil - Has antifungal effects that clear fungal infections causing dandruff.
- Juniper berry oil - Detoxifies the scalp and clears blockages, reducing dandruff.
Essential Oils For Itchy Scalp
Itchy scalp has many causes. These oils provide relief:
- Peppermint oil - Cools and soothes discomfort due to its anti-inflammatory effect.
- Lavender oil - Has antibacterial and soothing properties.
- Lemongrass oil - Improves scalp health to relieve irritation.
- Rosewood oil - Anti-fungal and detoxifying to treat infections causing itchiness.
- Juniper berry oil - Calms and moisturises the scalp to minimise itching.
Essential Oils For Split Ends
Split ends make hair appear damaged. Using oils can help:
- Lavender oil - Renowned conditioner that seals moisture into hair.
- Sandalwood oil - Smoothens cuticles and hair shaft to reduce splits.
- Chamomile oil - Reverses damage by nourishing hair.
- Thyme oil - Restores and strengthens weakened hair prone to splitting.
Best Practices When Using Essential Oils for Hair
To maximise results over time, follow these tips when using essential oils on your hair:
- Always dilute oils properly with a carrier oil before applying to scalp.
- Limit use to 2-3 times per week to avoid overuse.
- Rotate oils to get a mix of different therapeutic benefits.
- Give oils 6-8 weeks of consistent use to notice a difference.
- Store oils properly in a cool, dark place.
Following these best practices helps ensure essential oils effectively improve scalp and hair health safely.
What essential oils help with hair growth?
Rosemary, lavender, cedarwood, and clary sage oils can help stimulate follicles for faster hair growth. Massaging the scalp with these oils boosts circulation.
How do you use essential oils for hair?
After diluting pure essential oils with a carrier oil, massage the blend into your scalp and hair. For deeper conditioning, add diluted oils to your shampoo, conditioner, hair masks, etc.
What essential oil is good for dry scalp?
Tea tree, peppermint, and lavender oil soothe itchiness and reduce dandruff caused by a dry scalp. Lemongrass oil also improves scalp health.
What essential oils help oily hair?
Lemon, cedarwood, rosemary, and tea tree oils help control excess sebum production. Their astringent action also cleanses hair follicles and pores.
What essential oils help damaged hair?
Lavender, chamomile, and sandalwood oils nourish, moisturise, and strengthen damaged hair. Their antioxidant effects reverse the damage, improving texture.
Share this post!